La Vida Wanker

La Vida Wanker

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Wanker of the Year Award Nominee

Every year, summer seems to expire the same way. I tell my mom I’m heading out for a ride and head to the local candy store for some ice cream. On the radio, I hear a back to school advertisement.

In years past, a shiver would descend my spine sending tears into my cookie dough ice cream.

These days, I weep for my siblings, not myself. College is not high school, thankfully. And sadly.

Anyway, it’s time for a midweek update.

1)
Captain Higgins is my favorite parasitic flatworm. (Trust me, this link is worth the click. Please, trust me.)

2) Team Pro Wanker will be working on Wanker of the Year Awards (WOTY). An early nominee: John Tomlinson. He’s in Italy for WORLDS.
He’s trained his ass—not just this year, but ever since I’ve known him for this opportunity. He’s focused mentally and physically on the races ahead of him. Years of dedication, sacrifice and pain are on the line. Except one thing has gone awry. He’s missing his bike. Yeah, thank you airlines. Thanks a metric ton.

4) Using footage from the Tour of Elk Grove, I am working on a Leibo video profile. Think Shark Week. Except better. Why better? Do sharks eat donuts and win track races? I think not.

Now, time for things a bit more serious:

1) The Glencoe Crit is this weekend. While I hate bike racing and find crits to be an utter waste of time, I’m excited for this event. Glencoe is a cool suburb, it’s fun to watch the pros race and the 1/2 purse is solid. While I’m excited to race (I mean,
participate), part of me will be missing Downers Grove. Here’s to hoping we can get that race running again next year.

2) Junior racing isn’t doing too well locally. While the Memorial Day Weekend Iowa/IL series draws some serious racers, local junior racing is pathetic. This is depressing. Juniors are the key to the future of this sport. I don’t know how to solve the problem, but we need to get working on it. Pro Wanker wants to do its part. Next year, look for one local crit and track race to receive Pro Wanker funding for a sizable junior purse. Yeah, it’s still just an idea. But we have to start somewhere, right?

Until the weekend—

Rosey

No comments:

Post a Comment